So what's the deal here?

Welcome to the blog of Gwen, photographer/comic trapped in the body of an occasionally mild-mannered (but tenacious and dedicated) Reference Assistant. This is my effort to explore the true meaning of the 23 things designed to help us learn (master would be a bit too much for me to expect) Web 2.0.

08 November, 2008

"thing" no. 5: Flickr


As technology goes, Flickr has been around for at least a couple of years -- what might be considered an eternity in the world of emerging technologies. So this course was not the first time I had heard the name. One of the librarians at work has had photos on it. I thought the word "Flickr" was catchy. When I was a kid, I was nuts about a television show called "My Friend Flicka." But, I digress.

Actually going into Flickr for this course was another thing (no pun intended). I write this post quite some weeks after experiencing "thing" no. 5. I recall being overwhelmed at the number of photographs available. I chose one -- and now I can't even remember how and where I found it on the site -- of winter, this beautiful mass of blue. You can find it with this posting. I don't recall anyone's name or nickname or initials that went with it, to whom I could give credit. When I was back in Flickr yesterday, I couldn't find that shot again.

At any rate, in October I did sign up for a Flickr account. However, not too long after that I came across an article that talks about how your photos on Flickr can show up in some company's ad campaign. As a result of that story, I must admit I am much more wary of Flickr. I have a greater sense now of the meaning of photo sharing. After this course ends, I might upload some of my own shots on Flickr. But rest assured, if I do, I'll make a point of knowing what I'm getting into.

No comments:

Here's me

My photo
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Now that you ask, it's hard to put into words. Reserved at first, but tend to warm up with time. Hope never to lose my sense of humor... or my curiosity. A true wiseguy (there is another word that begins with an "s") pretty much since I could talk... Planning one of these days to return to the piano. Fascinated by the many ironies in (and of) life.

(Some of) my favorite things

  • Cross Creek (old flick)
  • Educating Rita (old flick)
  • Julia (old flick)
  • On the Waterfront (quite old flick)
  • Out of Africa (old flick)
  • The Verdict (I think this was my favorite Paul Newman movie.)