So what's the deal here?

Welcome to the blog of Gwen, photographer/comic trapped in the body of an occasionally mild-mannered (but tenacious and dedicated) Reference Assistant. This is my effort to explore the true meaning of the 23 things designed to help us learn (master would be a bit too much for me to expect) Web 2.0.

09 November, 2008

"thing" no. 9: library-related blogs and/or news feeds

In all honesty, I suppose you could call me sort of a news junkie. Although I have to admit I don't read a newspaper every day. (Shame on me.) Adding these RSS feeds in October was a trip and a half. I had to remember: Just look for the little orange thingie that signifies "RSS." It has to be there somewhere on the web site. Next, which newspapers to choose. All of these decisions. Sure, I need Chicago. But what about the rest of the country? Will I break my blog if I add too many? As far as out-of-town feeds go (see, I can use the lingo, too), I chose the New York Times and the Christian Science Monitor.

So many blogs, so little time. I have many interests, so I wanted to experiment with different subjects: photography, politics, journalism. And more. So I went for: The Caucus, Wired, Indecision 2008, the Daily Beast, OJR, and Neil Creek - photographer. A little later I added Julie's Health Club from the Chicago Tribune. (I'm also into consumer health information.) I'm only in library school so I suppose I need to add another library blog or two (just recently plugged in Library Thing blogs). Saw Roger Simon on the tube this weekend and added Politico.com. I think I can manage to not get too carried away with the choice of tons of blogs out there. Well, then again...

No comments:

Here's me

My photo
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Now that you ask, it's hard to put into words. Reserved at first, but tend to warm up with time. Hope never to lose my sense of humor... or my curiosity. A true wiseguy (there is another word that begins with an "s") pretty much since I could talk... Planning one of these days to return to the piano. Fascinated by the many ironies in (and of) life.

(Some of) my favorite things

  • Cross Creek (old flick)
  • Educating Rita (old flick)
  • Julia (old flick)
  • On the Waterfront (quite old flick)
  • Out of Africa (old flick)
  • The Verdict (I think this was my favorite Paul Newman movie.)